Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A lot going on

My writing has always been kind of sporadic over the last few years, but the last few weeks...well, I'm focusing most of my time on finding an apartment in Tucson so it'll be ready to move in when I get there, and packing and cleaning up my apartment here. Looks like there's a good chance of that happening, though. I found a really nice one that has a bedroom, a washer and dryer, and a private balcony/patio (from the pictures I've seen, it looks like the one I'm going for is on the upper floor, so it'd be a balcony), and it's in a really nice area with a park nearby and a wide-open view of the sky, which is the kind of view I love. Where I live now, there are close mountains all around, and it makes me feel kind of boxed-in.

And that apartment is only $50/month more than I'm paying for this tiny-ass studio apartment now (the rent in this little town tends to be really high for some inexplicable reason). And things are progressing smoothly...the lease should be ready tomorrow, then I'll pay the first month's rent, and then I'll be set. Then I'll hit the road on the 31st. The drive from here will be around twenty, maybe twenty-one hours, so I figure I can do it in three days. And then I'll be over 1,300 miles away from this cold, wet, depressing, nasty, vile town on the Oregon coast. I'm pretty sure I have seasonal affective disorder--during winters here, with the nearly constant rain and often bone-penetrating cold and dark gray sky and 97% goddamned humidity, I usually sink into depression and lose any motivation to do anything. Once I can look out the window and see sunshine on most days, and not wake up shivering in the morning, I'll be okay. Might even be able to get back into a regular writing routine.

The balcony would make a good "office," now that I think about it. I've got a little patio table and a stool that would fit nicely there. It'd be great to sit there with my laptop and a coffee and a view of the park and the sky, and crank out chapter after chapter.

Since I can only afford a 10-foot U-Haul, I'm tossing out all the junk I've accumulated over the years and never even touch anymore. Been planning to do that anyway, but now I have an excuse to get around to it. It's really nice to have a month to do it, too, and not have to rush through it all in a couple days. Never had that before...every other time I had to move, I never really knew where I'd end up until the last moment, and could never afford a U-Haul. Mad rush to pack everything into the car and make trip after trip until everything was moved. Ugh. That was sometimes more interesting than other times, depending on the car I had at the time. Imagine stuffing a kitchen table into the trunk of a 1987 Nissan Pulsar, along with a bunch of other stuff, and still getting the trunk lid closed. Yeah. I'm so glad I don't have to go through that this time.

Anyway, that's where most of my time is going, these days. Still, I really want to take just a day and finish a chapter on one of the several different stories I'm working on. And there's also a bit of a rant that's been percolating in my head for a while, about Mass Effect. Specifically, Mass Effect 3, bad writing, limiting the story you're telling to a trilogy and veering off into a completely different direction with the middle installment, rushing to get your story back on track and finish it all with the third. One of these days I need to sit down and write that all out.

So...that's what's been going on lately, and what's on the horizon. Hopefully things will smooth out after the next few weeks.

For now...just looking forward to the day when I can walk outside without my nipples turning so hard that they'll be able to cut glass....

No comments:

Post a Comment