Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Beginnings

Okay, it's about time I posted something here. The last few months have been keeping me derailed, and a couple weeks ago a pretty major upheaval in my life started. But this being the start of a new year, I decided to get off my ass and write something.

Haven't had a blog in a while, so here's a quick introduction. I'm a writer. Been a writer for a long time, but haven't gotten anything published beyond a couple novels I put on the Kindle Direct platform. There's finally something happening with my third book, Chaser, though; I submitted it for publication a few months ago, and it's actually being considered. So I'll be doing whatever I can think of to market the book, including posting detailed character profiles here and linking to them from my website and other places.

I'm also doing everything I can think of to get samples of my writing out where people can read them. Including a bit of fanfiction, which I write for the fun of it and as a writing exercise I started to get me out of a bad case of writer's block. And to maybe, possibly, draw a few more readers to the books I'm selling. I'll have more to say about fanfiction another time. Especially Mass Effect. Because...Mass Effect 3. Yeah. The ending wasn't the only problem I have with that game. But that's a whole other rant....

Over on the right you'll see links to just about everything I'm up to around the net. I'll go into more detail on it in later posts, as something new on each project comes up.

The major upheaval I mentioned above started the day I became unemployed. I won't go into detail about it now, but I will say that it was a horrible company to work for, and the store I worked in slowly became a living hell in the seven and a half years I worked there. Stressed me out to the point where I barely slept for three months, and finally just walked off the job in the middle of a shift when everything became just too much.

At that point, I could've looked for another job and very likely never found one that wouldn't come with a $5/hour pay cut...or I could've done something I've been wanting to do the entire twenty years I've lived in this town--pack up and move out. So I'm going for it. Sent in the thirty-day notice today, and now I have a month to get rid of all the crap I've accumulated over the years, pack up only what I absolutely have to bring, and squeeze it into a ten-foot U-Haul.

The town I'm in now is a small, dismal place on the Oregon coast that's almost constantly cold, rainy, and miserable. The only reason I'm still here is because I've never had enough money to leave. I'm not sure I have enough to cover all the expenses now, but if I don't try, I'll probably be stuck here for the rest of my life. The economy here sucks, and the only reason I stuck with the job as long as I did was because that company is pretty much the only game in town. Working somewhere else would've meant starting over at the bottom, and I wouldn't have been able to save up any money to move out of here.

But...screw it. I'm heading for Tucson and I'll make it work even if I run out of money. Think I'll have enough to get there, and rent an apartment if I play my cards right. I'll have to find a job right away to keep it, and that's the most iffy part. Still, like I said, I'll make it work. I've been trying to save up to move there for the last several years, I'm absolutely in love with the place, and I'll figure out a way to make ends meet no matter what. I start shivering if the temperature drops below 70 degrees, and I hate rain and snow with every fiber of my being. I need high temperatures and sunshine. And I just love the scenery around Tucson. As soon as I started considering different places I might want to live, every time I saw a photo of Tucson, I felt intensely homesick, even though I've never been there.

So, my writing output will probably be more sporadic than usual over the next month or two. But I'll keep at it whenever I can, and won't be able to resist posting photos I'll be taking during the 1,300+ mile trip.

Guess that pretty much covers it for now. Got to get back to work. And I'll see if I can add another page to my website later tonight....

No comments:

Post a Comment