Monday, May 19, 2014

And now my computer's dead again

I'm posting this from a shitty netbook I bought about five years ago, which is even slower than the first computer I ever bought, way back in 1996. It takes well over a minute just for a web page to load, and ten to twenty seconds to switch between browser tabs. I also picked up a cheap tablet a couple weeks ago, just so I could have a couple of backups just in case, but I've been having some problems with the tablet's browser, too. So, I'm getting by, but hope to have the desktop fixed within the next day or two.

A few days ago it started its overheating-and-shutting-down thing again, which is exactly what it did last year, right before the power supply exploded and blew out the motherboard along with it. After work last night, I opened it up and blew the dust out, but when I turned it back on, the CPU fan sounded like a buzzsaw. People out in the parking lot could probably hear it. Then the computer shut down again before it even finished booting.

I managed to order a new fan from the tablet, even though I really can't spare the money right now. But while I can get by with the tablet and netbook for basic things like emails and writing, they're no substitute for my PC, which I use for almost everything I do.

Anyway. In the meantime, thanks to Dropbox, I still have access to my books, stories, and whatnot, and plan to keep writing. And, if I manage to finish a chapter before the PC is fixed, I'll see if I can upload it from the tablet or netbook...though I had some problems posting stuff from both of them last night, so who knows if it'll work or not....

No comments:

Post a Comment