Thursday, August 28, 2014

A brief rant and a couple of updates

So, it's been kind of an interesting week. I started Saturday morning off by discovering that someone had broken into my car in the middle of the night. The only thing taken out of the car was an old jacket I'd gotten on ebay for something like $20 I don't even remember how many years ago, and a pair of $5 driving gloves I never used because it hardly ever gets cold enough here. Oddly, my only reaction was, "Huh," then I shrugged and drove off to work.

This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me. Well, many years ago someone slashed three of my tires one night, but this is the first time I've had someone B&E and steal something of mine. I always expected I'd feel kind of violated, but for some reason I don't. I'm more irritated about the damage to my car, though at least it still runs, which is all that really matters to me. As long as it still gets me where I need to go, I can deal with it. And the robbery itself pisses me off. I despise thieves. Right now, I'm working my ass off just to be paid $5/hour for most of each shift, when the minimum wage is $7.90, so even buying something inexpensive is a big deal. (And I'm only doing that because it seems no one else will hire me. Been turning in applications for a year and a half, and only got two job interviews--both of them last September.) For some worthless fucking evolutionary mishap to damage my car and steal some of my stuff...it's disgusting. I can barely stay afloat, but I don't go around stealing other people's shit.

Anyway. Just had to get that off my chest. On to writing-related stuff.

Few days ago I finally finished another chapter in the rough draft of Reactivated. I was thinking it'd be about ten chapters long, but it's starting to look like it might end up being a bit longer. I'd like to bring it to a close in fifteen chapters or under.

And I finally got a new video uploaded. Third in the series using a Mass Effect 2 playthrough as a springboard for discussing various writing topics, this one includes comments on ways synthetic/robot/AI characters are typically portrayed in fiction vs. how they develop in the Mass Effect series.

Finished this one a couple weeks ago, but have been having trouble getting it uploaded. For some reason, the upload would finish, then its status would get stuck on "processing." It never advanced beyond that after several days of waiting each time, and I had to delete the video and try again. Two attempts ended the same way and wasted ten gigabytes of my monthly allotment. I then converted the video into a different format and tried again, and this time it worked. So, here it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment