Monday, August 4, 2014

New chapter of "Game Over" posted

Still trying to work on Chapter 9 and also get back to work on Reactivated so I can finish them, do the rewrites on each, and then see if I can sell the final drafts, but life has been getting in the way quite a lot during the last few days. But at least I managed to get Chapter 5 of the current draft of Game Over posted to FanStory.

Since there's a robot/AI character in this story, and so much fiction I've read/seen goes straight for the AI is a Crapshoot thing, I have a tendency to go in a different direction with the subject matter. I don't automatically view computers/technology/AI as always evil, because that's how I personally see it but also because it makes for a more interesting story in my opinion, just by taking a different approach.

And here's a small excerpt from Chapter 5:

"I've actually been curious about that, myself," Dylan said. "Are you...y'know...anatomically correct?"
"You mean, do I have a vagina?" Cora winked and sauntered over to him. "You bet I do. Sex probably doesn't feel the same for me as it does for organics, but it feels damned good, so it works for me."
"Now, that's what I call advanced technology." Dylan cocked his head. "Sorry if this is a sensitive matter, but are you a sexbot? I'm not sure why else you'd have that sort of 'equipment.'"
"I started out that way, and gradually had my software and hardware upgraded to keep up with newer models. Eventually, I became fully sentient, and realized I wanted to try to find more in life than what I was built to do." Cora grinned. "But fortunately, repurposing myself didn't require giving up orgasms."
"Huh. Wow." Dylan blushed. "I don't know if you're aware of how AI are played up in movies where I'm from, but--"
"I am. Humans where I'm from had the same distrust of synthetics, but luckily those who created us went out of their way to show us kindness and compassion so we'd understand those concepts. And whenever an AI began showing signs of sentience, they would ask it if it wanted to continue its service or be set free to find its own purpose. When I reached that point, I wanted to make a life for myself rather than keep doing what someone else decided I would do. Fortunately, since I was sentient at that point, keeping me shackled would've been considered a form of slavery, and I was set free."
"Glad to hear that. What did you end up doing with your life? Or are you still searching?"
"I tried a lot of different things, and ended up splitting my time between running cargo shipments around the galaxy and working as a sort of hired gun. I took on a lot of small jobs here and there, helping people who couldn't help themselves--people who were being ground under someone's wheels in one way or another. Did pretty well for myself, I think. I didn't get rich, but I stayed in business and enjoyed my work."
"That's wonderful." Dylan smiled. "Like I said, things in the movies I mentioned usually ended up going in pretty much the opposite direction. I'm really glad to hear that the real-life version had a happier ending."
"So am I." Cora chuckled. "I never really had much of a taste for taking over the world or wiping out humanity."
And in other news, I'm getting started on a new YouTube project, in which I'll be doing a playthrough commentary on Mass Effect 2 and using it as a springboard for promoting my books and discussing plot and character development and writing in general. At least, I will if my computer cooperates. I'm still having overheating/shutdown problems, as well as bizarre power failures that only affect a single outlet in my apartment--which is, naturally, the one my computer and TV/monitor are plugged into. And my first attempt at this project, about a week ago, went nowhere because the recording software I used for my voice-over decided to crash after I finished the first segment, and I lost an hour and fifteen minutes of commentary.

So, this time, I'll try to keep the video shorter and hope nothing else goes completely wrong. I'll post an entry here when...or if...I can ever get the thing finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment