Tuesday, April 21, 2015

New video on writing

Here's something I'd been wanting to get started at least a couple of years ago, using a piece of terrible writing to talk about things authors should avoid in their own works. I'd been putting it off until a couple other video series are finished, but recent real-life events put me into a bad enough mood that I decided to go ahead with this one.

I call the series How Not to Write a Story.

The first video gets rather ranty and profane in a few places, just from the sheer frustration of it all, but the rest of the series will be milder now that I got it off my chest. The various topics I'll bring up in the videos will include properly setting up the beginning of the story, not turning the main characters into idiots when they've been established as intelligent in previous works, adding in a new character specifically to kill him off for shock value vs. building up an emotional connection with a character and then killing him off for a genuine emotional gut-punch, and not forgetting/dropping/tossing aside major plot threads and themes in a sequel that have been firmly established in previous volumes. And a lot more. Like, the villain shouldn't be a mustache-twirler, and should have some actual personality and motivation aside from "Bwahahaha! I'm EVIL!"


No comments:

Post a Comment