Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Posts 21 - 23

Here's several more short posts from the Lucky Stars launch party.

Post #21

Here’s another one of mycurrent works-in-progress, picking up exactly where “Enemy of my Enemy” ended, with Jack and Arcee investigating the reappearance of their old enemy Airachnid and discovering that she might not be who they think she is. More romance, more humor, characters goofing around and having fun while recovering from wounds … and hints of a potentially galaxy-ending evil looming on the horizon.






















Post #22

One question writers get a lot is, “Where do you get your ideas?” The only answer I can think of is, “Anywhere and everywhere.” Anything I see while going about my daily business could spark an idea for a character, a bit of dialogue, or a whole novel. For a specific example, when it comes to writing action, a huge inspiration for me has been the work of the late, great Monty Oum. Among other things, for the last several years he choreographed fight scenes and did a lot of the motion-capture for the animation on the web series Red vs. Blue.

Before I found his work in that series, I tended to gloss over a lot of the action, or not let it play out the way it should. After I saw some of the choreography in the episodes of the last few seasons, it was like a whole new world opened up in front of me. I realized I could make action scenes a lot more dynamic, and some of the moves the characters pulled off inspired me to try similar things with my own characters. There’s a lot of that in the Freelancers one-shot I mentioned earlier, as well as the rest of my writing from the past few years.

Here’s just one example of what I’m talking about.


Addendum: Speaking of Monty Oum ... I'm still bummed out that he's gone. His work was amazing and really did inspire me to step up my game as far as action sequences go. As I mentioned in the post above, seeing his work got me to think in ways I hadn't even considered before, and made me want to try to do something new and creative with those scenes.


Post #23

Real quick, here’s another video partly just for fun and partly inspiration for humorous scenes like the video-game scene in “Mission to Bellatrix.” This one is an off-road race with some absolutely hilarious moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment