Friday, November 20, 2015

Catching up

Time for a long-overdue update. I haven't been active at all here for the last few weeks, and I'll try to briefly explain why without turning it into a "poor me" rant.

Basically, a few weeks ago, I was almost evicted from my apartment because I didn't have enough money to pay the rent, so as you might imagine, I've had too much on my mind to focus on writing any of my current works-in-progress or promoting Project Revenant. Over the past few months, my car's engine blew up and I couldn't get a loan to replace it, my hours at work were cut because it's a delivery job and I had to use my own car, then I couldn't make the next car payment and had to let them repo it. The manager let me work in the store, doing most of the dough prep for the next day, so at least I kept my job. Still, the paychecks weren't big enough and I fell behind on the utilities and the rent. At the beginning of November, I used my entire paycheck, plus what little I had left from the previous one, for the rent, and was still over $100 short. I hoped to cover the rest with the next paycheck, but got a 5-day notice to pay the rest or be tossed out.

The good news is, the day I got the notice turned out to be the day my workplace got a company car to use for deliveries. I'm still not sure how it'll turn out because, from what I was told, the car was going to be rotated through each store in the area, staying at each one for a few days. But it's been at my store pretty consistently since we got it, and I've been able to go back to taking deliveries and getting tips and going home with cash in my pocket at the end of each shift. Between that and a little money I was loaned from friends and family, I was able to pay the rest of the rent by the skin of my teeth, and also get caught up on the utilities. So if the company car remains available, I'll be able to hang on.

The company car they've got me driving, by the way ... well, there's something quite amusing about it. There's a car in Grand Theft Auto V that looks almost exactly like it, except the little rear windows are a slightly different shape.






















The real car is a Scion iQ ... but I always think of it as "the Panto."

For extra laughs, here's a video someone made when the car was first added to the game. The one I'm driving for work doesn't have that paint job, but I kinda wish it did.



Anyway. I've finally been able to get back to writing now that the worries are kinda sorta over (until the next thing that goes horribly wrong ... and there will be another one sooner or later, because there always is). I had just started NaNoWriMo, and was ahead of the goal by 2,000 words, but fell so far behind due to the near-eviction that there's no chance of catching up now. Which is a shame because it did motivate me to keep working on Uncharted Territory, but now I'll just keep chugging along as best I can, and I'm hoping to have another chapter finished soon.

After getting past this latest bit of unpleasantness, I needed to get back to work on something fun and low-stress, something that didn't have any high-pressure stakes like getting accepted by a publisher. So I finished the latest chapter of one of my just-for-fun projects, Freelancers. Over 125,000 words now, and it's barely gotten started ....

Next I'll be getting back to work on writing Uncharted Territory and promoting Project Revenant. Once I get past the beginning of next month without falling short on the rent again, I'll be able to breathe a lot easier and get a lot more writing done.

Oh, one last announcement regarding my upcoming novel, Chaser. The cover art has been finalized, they sent me the galley (which had some technical glitches that have now been fixed), and as far as I know, it's passed the final hurdle. The publisher is hoping to get it out before the holidays. So I'll finish this with a look at the cover art.


No comments:

Post a Comment