Monday, November 28, 2016

New YouTube Channel: Feel Boss Gaming

After more than a quarter-century of trying to get published and succeeding only twice (one novel published a year ago, followed by one story in an anthology that tanked so hard, the publisher took it down from Amazon), I thought long and hard, and finally decided to see if I can take things in a different direction, at least to some extent.


I'm still going to continue working on my current books (Harbinger and its upcoming sequels, Freelancers, and Uncharted Territory), but others I've got in the planning stages will have to be put on hold temporarily while I try to get this new venture off the ground. Once Uncharted Territory is finished, I'm planning to get started on the sequel to Project Revenant, but I won't be working on six different books at the same time like I used to, at least until this new thing either works out or crashes and burns.


I'm still thinking about giving Project Revenant another polish and submitting it to another publisher, but at this point I can't kid myself anymore. Despite the vast majority of readers who comment on my work telling me that it's good (or in some cases, outstanding), the people who make the decisions on what gets published ... the gatekeepers ... won't give me a shot. Aside from the two things mentioned above, it hasn't happened in 26 years, so there's no reason to think it'll happen any time in the rest of my life. You know the saying about the definition of insanity -- repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results.


So, it's time to try something new. If this works out, it'll at least become a supplementary income, which I need rather desperately. After certain events over the course of the past few months ... I'm done. I'm just done. It's way past time to stop trying things that clearly aren't working, and take a stab at something else. Which, in all likelihood, is also doomed to failure, but you never know until you try.


A few days ago I set up a new YouTube channel to see if I can make something happen with my other hobby/passion, video games. The channel is named after the gamer tag I usually use, Feel Boss. I've started it off with a fair number of clips from my character's antics in Grand Theft Auto Online (some of which were posted on YouTube under my real name, but since hardly anyone watched my videos, I decided to set up the new page and start moving the videos over to it), and there'll be more coming soon. And I'll be uploading gameplay videos from other games, as well. For instance, the only thing I bought on Black Friday was DOOM, which Steam had on sale for under $20 (full price is $60 since it's still fairly new).



I'll also be going over my Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 videos, editing out any long, boring pauses and doing what I can to tighten them up, then uploading them to the new channel. And though I'd planned to wait until I heard from other players whether Mass Effect: Andromeda is any good or not, I've decided to pick it up on release day and post my playthroughs, since it'll be something of a hot topic. Since I'm a writer, I'll be looking at it from that perspective, so I (and, hopefully, viewers) will be able to take something useful away from it, but I'm also hoping it'll be enjoyable and not an infuriating slog like ME3 was.



Another series I've got planned is for one of the worst games of all time, Ride to Hell: Retribution. Again, looking at it mainly from a writing perspective, but from what I've heard, that game is terrible in every way, shape, and form, so there should be plenty to talk about.


Something I'm thinking about doing with GTA Online is to go into Passive Mode so I can't be killed every five seconds, cruise around, and just observe the goings-on and see if anything interesting happens. One of the titles I'm considering for this is Feel Boss Likes to Watch ... and I'm considering it because it sounds creepy. I might also use this as a way of making video blogs, just so there'll be something interesting on the screen while I'm talking, since I'm not really comfortable being on camera.


I'll also be revisiting old favorites, like Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV. And I've got my eyes on Agents of Mayhem because it looks like a spiritual successor to those two games.

On my website, I've added a couple of new pages, one for The Misadventures of Feel Boss and the other for some Cunning Stunts races in GTA Online. I've also inserted all the videos so far between these paragraphs for the sake of convenience.


And I'll be posting links to my website, blog, and novels and whatnot under each video, so who knows, if I can get this off the ground, maybe it'll help draw some attention to my other passion. I can't help being pessimistic about my chances, but ... well, you never know until you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment