Monday, November 14, 2016

The Misadventures of Feel Boss

The whole getting-published thing just isn't working out. Last week, Project Revenant was rejected by the publisher I'd sent it to. So while I decide whether to give the book another polish and submit it to another publisher or just put it on Kindle Direct with all the others, I've been working on a few other little projects to see if there's something I can either use to draw attention to my books or make a few bucks off, somehow (or both).

I'm going to be continuing my two video series in which I analyze the writing of, and comment on, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, and I've got a few other ideas for more videos. For instance, vids introducing and discussing Project Revenant and my current work-in-progress, Uncharted Territory. My approach to those will be similar to the one I made a while back for Chaser, in which I went into a solo session in Grand Theft Auto Online and talked about the book while riding a bicycle around Los Santos.



For the Uncharted Territory video I'm planning, I'll be recording my GTA Online character hiking up Mt. Chiliad (and probably falling off a few cliffs due to my incompetence) while talking about the book, its characters, its setting, and so on.

In addition to those, I've been making a few short gameplay videos for a series I'm calling The Misadventures of Feel Boss. I recently decided to see if I can exploit my ineptitude for humor (as well as the occasional awesome moment), and post some amusing videos of things going wrong. I added a page to my website with four videos embedded so far. I'm adding them below.

In the first one, I was trying to get a cool screenshot to use as a Halloween image, and it wasn't long before things went horribly awry and led to my brand-new Sanctus motorcycle merging with a section of corrugated metal fence like it had a transporter accident. After several minutes of trying to dislodge it, the two objects separated on their own, and then things ended the way just about everything I do ends.


In an older video, I solo'd the Sandy Shores Survival mission. This was just me mowing down ten waves of hillbillies hell-bent on killing me, so there's not much that's hilarious in it aside from the way the hillbillies keep rushing out and getting gunned down in the same spot, so their corpses just keep piling up. I've done that particular Survival mission several times because I find it oddly relaxing as well as amusing.


The next one's just me playing a round of the new "Deadline" Adversary Mode. Most of the time I stick to solo sessions because I didn't enjoy going into multiplayer and getting shot dead every five seconds because I'm too terrible a player to survive very long. But when I heard about the new Shotaro motorcycle, which is based on the Light Cycles from Tron Legacy, and then found out that the only way to unlock it was to play a round of Deadline, so I gritted my teeth and went for it. Surprisingly, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit even though the other players mopped up the arena with me. I guess it was because it was a specific thing we were all doing, rather than me trying to accomplish a task and having some fucking rando interfering just for his own shits and giggles. I'll probably play Deadline again, and end up with several more videos in the "Fiery Deaths" series.


This last one I uploaded earlier tonight. I hadn't even planned on making a video, but the mission I was playing through got ... interesting ... and I just had to record it, add a voice-over track, and the share it. I'd been running a couple of businesses that came with the game's recent "Bikers" update, but after the Deadline experience turned out to be surprisingly positive, I decided to temporarily shut down those businesses so I could focus on other races such as Cunning Stunts. I decided to do one last delivery run before shutting down the weed farm, and I was not expecting what it was about to turn into. My character's passenger lit up a really powerful joint while she was driving, she got a contact high from it, and she ended up going on a magical adventure.


Over the past couple of nights, I jumped into several Cunning Stunts races against other players and had a blast. I'm editing the first of those videos now, and will hopefully have it uploaded soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment